My body is in a world of confusion. After three days of plunging from the searing, humid heat of the Singapore streets and Hawker markets to the icy refridgeration of its taxis and interior maze-like malls, I think I’m coming down with something. Maybe it was something I ate. But that really would be difficult to pinpoint…

I’m not saying it’s my ideal, but Singapore has to be some kind of utopia – to someone. Singaporeans, perhaps. It’s just so squeaky clean by nature, like an Alice in Wonderland crazytown. I thought that was just a myth, like Australians riding Kangaroos to school – but it’s actually true – if I went out and scoured the streets right now at midnight I’d be hard pressed to find even a tiny corner of foil from a chip packet – let alone a drunkard falling into a gutter or someone breaking the speed limit. Everyone here just ‘does the right thing’, it seems.

Without fail, on every street they’re knocking down something they built last week, salvaging the concrete, steel, and even the ash from the burnt waste to reclaim a bit more land to build something cooler, bigger, newer than before. It just doesn’t stop.

I don’t really understand how it can be described as a soulless city – from what I’ve seen there’s plenty of evidence of history (although the history itself was renovated years ago). I think maybe people just get a bit tall poppy about Singapore because it’s so diddy yet it’s such an economic powerhouse, and it’s so crowded yet people just get along. I’m sure its going to make the rest of SE Asia seem like a rude awakening!

We touched down at Changi on Thursday night after a 14 hour flight from Stansted.

Since everyone knows that long-haul travel, no matter what the circumstances, is nature’s way of making you look and feel as shit as your do in your passport photo, we decided to go budget with Air Asia. What difference could it make?

I want to say it was fine on the flight (we even bought snacks for the total price of about 6 quid) but the airport setup was fairly crap at Stansted (online checkin denied us, so we queued for about 90 mins), and without any explanation in Kuala Lumpur before hand, we were told we had to go through customs, out to departures to get new boarding passes issued…slightly annoying without sleep… but we did arrive alive, and it was definitely cheaper, so enough said about that.

1st thing Friday we bounded into the city to meet the lovely Joanne who’s been babysitting BOB and the Carnet. With Carnet in hand we then had a few hours of extortion at the AAS and Land Transport Authority and about $350 later we had everything we needed to drive BOB out of Singapore to the Malaysian Checkpoint (as opposed to having him towed). Delighted, we celebrated with fried carrot cake in Chinatown and a Singapore Sling at Raffles.  We are now broke. Donations welcome. We picked up BOB later that evening, he looked really orange, and pleased to see us.

After living it up on Orchard Rd on Friday night with half a Tiger Shandy each, we accidentally slept til midday on Saturday. Disaster! There was so much to be done. Luckily, we found some muscle to help lift the roof tent back onto the roof, and between Joe’s duff arm and my complete lack of dexterity we spent a very slow and hot afternoon reattaching things to the car, just as they were pre 20 foot container. He looks like an expedition car again – just about ready for kids to steal the snorkel and anything else that isn’t bolted down.

Tomorrow is Monday, and time to head over to the Kazakhstan Embassy and beg them to give us Visas to drive through their country… I hope it works out. I hope its quick. I hope they’re wearing mankinis…. Cross your fingers for us x